VETERAN Glen Marumoto has accepted the invitation to be our honored 2024 GUEST SPEAKER.
Many, if not all, of our 2023 POW Marathon participants, volunteers and spectators will recognize the gentleman in the photo!
On Sunday, April 23, 2023, Glen broke his leg at MILE #4 of the London Marathon, which he FINISHED. He asked for any volunteer tasks he could do while wearing a boot, and thus became our 2023 Finish Line and Award Ceremony PHOTOGRAPHER.
When he left, he handed over 600 wonderful photographs and stated he would be returning in 2024 for another opportunity to run the full POW 26.2 miles for a third time! Just a few weeks later, he accepted our invitation to return and share his running story and motivate our 2024 roster of participants.
In the photo, Glen is posing with his London Marathon finisher medal and his SIX STAR MEDAL, indicating that he has finished the six major marathons: Tokyo, Berlin, London, Boston, Chicago, New York City. This is his second six star medal. Of the over 12,000 six star medal holders, only a little over 100 have accomplished the feat more than once.
A graduate of the Air Force Academy and the Air Force Institute of Technology, Marumoto served for nearly 28 years, working his way up to Lt. Colonel, Deputy Director of the Logistics and Readiness Division, Hq PACAF/A4, headquartered in Hawaii. His father served in the military before him, with both of his parents’ families enduring internment during WWII.
Currently, he works for the Hawaii Air National Guard as the Staff Operations and Training Officer, where he monitors the daily activities of one of the most diverse wings in the National Guard.
Glen credits his time in the military with creating the mindset that one needs to run more than the 200 marathons that he has completed!
More Marumoto life events:
- He has completed a Marathon in all 50 states, twice! He is seven states short of achieving this distinction a third time!
- He has run marathons in all the U.S. territories and D.C.
- He is he only known runner to have run a marathon and golfed 18 holes in all 50
- He wears a “Marathon Maniac’ Runners Club cap, indicating he has run 3 marathons in 90 days or 2 within 16 days. He is a titanium-level Maniac.
- He is also a member of the 50 States Marathon Club, the 50 States Sub-4 Marathon Club and the Marathon Globetrotters.